Friday, May 9, 2008

Stars lining up

Ugh, a horrible thing happened after the brief update yesterday. Someone tried to steal my identity. :S
Ya know how I had opened that new account and signed up for direct deposit? Well, I got an email from the bank saying reaffirm your information since users from more than one computer have been trying to log-in to the account with several failed password attempts.
It was a phishing scam and I totally fell for it.
Spent today closing out all of our accounts changing all our pw cutting up our cards... putting fraud alerts on our credit... what a nightmare.
Here's what you can do...
Don't give out any sensitive info by phone or email
Don't follow any links to your banking site... type in the url in the address bar
Don't put your pw in a pop-up window
When you type in your pw it should look like *** not 123
Your bank will never ask you for your pw or pin
If your address bar says phishing site... um that's not good! (mistook this for blocking any phishing)
Just sick with worry after this happened and couldn't eat. Finally settled down and ate late and then realized... never got to my #1 thing (asana) and by then it wouldn't be good an a full stomach. Grrr... so now what? Maybe it'll be 1000/1001 I guess. :S
Was telling hubby it's been such a weird day and I wonder what my horoscope said... the stars must be lining up in a strange way for me. He says my horoscope musta said "be mean to hubby all day" HA HA.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh dear! What a horrible thing. I am so sorry that happened to you. It sounds like your bank caught it quickly though.

kimz said...

Oh NO NO NO! The bank didn't catch it at all... the email WASN'T FROM the bank. It was a trick to get me to log-in with my user name and pw to their bogus site (which looked quite real) and fill out all my info... pin #s account #s SSN... mother's maiden name... ugh! :S

ragity ann said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you! My mom went through a similar thing closing out accounts because somebody stole her purse a couple years ago. It's awful. I hope everything ends up working out for you and thanks for putting up tips for avoiding similar things happening!

Latharia said...

Oh, how incredibly scary!!!! I hope everything turns out okay, Kim! *hugs*!!!