Sunday, July 27, 2008

Yoga with an unfocused mind

Me, first thing this morning, talking to myself "I should practice Yoga outside today". It is beautiful out and it’s so enjoyable to have the sun shining on you… feel the breeze against your skin… be connected with nature. "I wonder if that free class at the studio is today?" Goes to computer to check the online schedule repeating the mantra "I will not play cards or anything else… I’m just looking at the schedule". Nope. It’s next week, (birthday party for my youngest that day so that wont work) but there is a 12 o’clock that’s level one and two with an instructor I haven’t met yet. Okay, reading through the bios real quick… she’s not on there. Humph. It’ll be $15 and I do have $20. Outside we go…
Takes the blue mat since the most favorite really sticky purple one has just been washed (also washed: the mat bag, gym bag, work-bag, and purse *of which I forgot to empty the cosmetic pocket*… but that’s a whole 'nother tangent).
Walking deep into the back yard to find a sunny spot "The grass is more damp than I thought". Hears rustling "A SNAKE!" he’s cute, follows him trying to get a little touch of his tail before he slithers under the over grown with weeds and unplanted garden.
Spreads out the mat and steps onto it for Mountain pose facing the sun… it bunches under the feet. Tries sunny spot number two "This is not working". Spot number three, same thing. "Forget the mat". Getting grounded on the lumpy grass is a bit challenging. Something bites me on the ankle "I’m sharing the outdoors with nature, right?" Forward folds and brushes off ankle. Tree pose ought to help and goes well. Adds a little half lotus and forward fold then tries to squat down and balance on one foot "That’s not gonna happen". Firmly plants hands and feet in plank position and plans on staying there a few breaths before lowering down. A wasp lands underneath "Okay, Down-Dog then… See? It works out". The wasp (or maybe another wasp) buzzes around right leg, lifts the right foot "I can flow with this". One ant crawls up the left arm another up the left leg… the leg one tries to crawl into the shorts.
Plan B the back deck… there is no sun yet. "The front deck will be sunny" (but it’s viewable from the street… I don’t mind being seen, especially by just the neighbors, and once one of them joined me… it was nice. I would just rather not be a spectacle). Kicks off the thorny looking Horse Chestnuts and spreads the mat out on the front deck, which is nice and sunny. "Ah, much better". Runs through Sun Salutations A then Sun B, a horn blares "I hope I don’t cause an accident". Next came Warrior One, Two and Revolved Warrior. Side angle feels great with a nice bind. Hangs out in Down-Dog "People must wonder if I’m real". Makes a tripod headstand then gets those knees up onto the elbows and pushes up into Crow. One more headstand tucking the front of the shirt in first "If I fall I’ll just round my back… or try and fall forward" (really I was scared and didn’t straighten up like usual). Savasana "Now I just look like I’m sunbathing… with shorts on and a T-shirt… time to blog about this". So went this morning’s practice. ;)

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Love it!!!

I would have joined you if I were there. :)

Anonymous said...

Mom, you're very cute. You make me laugh.

"A SNAKE!!" hahaha

NathanRyder said...

If you want a postcard just send your address to "Nathan (dot) Blah (at) googlemail (dot) com" :)

Latharia said...

*grin* Awesome practice. Love your running monologue!! :D